Friday, April 25, 2008

Sweet music: Lights

Her real name is Valerie Poxleitner and she describes herself as 'small girl who dwells in Toronto and makes music.' Lights is a Canadian synth-pop singer and songwriter best known for her song February Air, featured in the February 2008 Old Navy commercials. She composes and sings powerful and beautiful electronic indie-pop songs.
.
(Lights - February Air)
.
Lights grew up in a musical family. When asked about when she wrote her first song, Lights has said "I was eleven, and I learned three chords on the guitar it was the first time I really learned how to play guitar and I wanted to write a song with them so I went down to my mom and I said pick a number between 1 and 150 and she picked 5 or something, I can’t really remember the number, but I went and opened up the Bible and there was 150 Psalms already written so I went to the number she chose and wrote a song with that and that kicked off the biggest thing of my life."
.
Lights got her break while modeling at the age of fifteen for a Wal-Mart flyer. The makeup artist on the shoot heard her sing and introduced her to singer-songwriter Jian Ghomeshi, who developed her first demo and now manages Lights.
.
For more information, check out her myspace

1 comment:

FASHION CHALET said...

What a cutie!
Love the music too! ♥